May 2, 2013

Missing last summer

Summer is here again. I'm suddenly overwhelmed by how much I'm missing my time in Yale University last year. I still remember how uncertain I felt after the selection interview at the NUS International Relations Office. I knew that competition was stiff, but I had performed better than expected by not letting my fear and anxiety get me down. I wanted it really badly, because it was Yale. In the United States. You couldn't have imagined my ecstasy when I received the offer email.

This summer programme is not like any other. It is one of the many initiatives of the International Alliance of Research Universities, where students from the 10 prestigious universities globally are given the opportunity to study at the university of their choice, coupled with other unique exposures specific to the selected course every summer.

Till now, I cannot believe how blessed I had been able to study at a university as established and renowned internationally as Yale. What's more, to take a course (International Economics) so related to my major and interest all the way in the United States, the global powerhouse. And to top things up, alongside motivated and intelligent international students who are the creme of the crop in their very own reputable universities. (And sorry I'm still not done) The extremely rustic and beautiful school campus, with an excellent faculty and exuberant students, definitely made this experience the highlight of the 19 years of my education.

I would love to elaborate more on this memorable experience. But I shall leave it to another time. Perhaps I should take this opportunity to thank everyone who made this possible for me, particularly NUS IRO, IARU, Yale University, Banco Santander, and my family and friends who were so happy for me and supported me in whatever ways they could.

Not to forget, the people who had shared those times with me, rushing to meet numerous deadlines and complete piles of readings amidst our weekend travels, surviving grueling and challenging seminar-style lessons which lasted more than 3 hours, twice a week, going for meals in the gorgeous dining halls and engaging in random leisure activities in different corners of Yale (playing table tennis and pool in Berkerley and Caulhoun's butteries, chillaxing on the hammock and tire swing at the secret backyard, going for our colourful flavourful toppings-ful froyo fixes, etc.). There has got to be so many people and so much to mention. But yeah, I really love you guys and I'm missing the times spent together.

It feels so surreal right now, it was such a beautiful dream. Everyone is all over the world right now and I don't know when we'll meet again. Yet for sure, I know that the 6 weeks we've been through, albeit short, will stay forever in our hearts.

IARU GSP Yale 2012 <3











0 comments:

Post a Comment